Any type of resource such as books, journals, magazines, CDs, video, . . . can be documented using the concept of Producer, Description and Management.
A Producer can be an author, editor, illustrator, translator, . . . any individual or group of people.
A Description includes the title, publisher, ISBN, ISSN, . . .
Management being how you got the item, where is it stored, is it on loan, . . .
What makes the ResourceMD stand out compared to similar library software is it's ability to, not only document the library, but catalogue it as well.
The ResourceMD is ideal for small / medium sizes libraries, specialist libraries, corporate / business libraries, private libraries, resource centres, . . .
The ResourceMD can be used as a simple inventory system, or an extensive research tool.
- Concept: this product uses the concept that any type of resource (i.e. books, journals, magazines, CDs, video, etc.) can be documented using the principle of author(s), description and management. Anything from a book to archive film footage has an author (individual author, group of authors, organisation, etc) - it can also be described (title, publisher, identification numbers, etc) and managed (loans, purchased price, etc).
- Approach: the database uses the concept of core and specific documentation, i.e. there are certain categories that record core information (i.e. title, author, etc), but there is also specific information (exact number of page, biographical details, etc). The database accommodates this by storing core information and relating specific information when necessary.
- Switchboard: the Switchboard is an important and central feature to to the ResourceMD. It appears after you have entered your username / password and guides you to the main features and functionality. Over the last couple of years Logos Flow has been observing how user interact with the various database products. For new users, it is normally about adding, editing and easily finding information they have captured. For experienced users, it is about quickly locating information and performing various tasks such as networking, updating, printing, etc. The Switchboard offers:
- UPGRADED Quick Search: this feature was added to the ResourceMD in the previous version and it searches across some of the main fields according to a word, or words, you enter. The initial reason for adding this feature was to offer a way to access information without knowing the searching and filtering techniques. This proved successful and even experienced users found this feature useful for quick access. This feature is enhanced in this version and most of the ResourceMD is searched according to a word, or words, you enter. Apart from the Items, it searches Producers, Management, Quotations, Tributes, Chronology, Film, Bibliography and Notes.
- Start: lets you immediately capture a new record and shows the number of records captured in the main sections. You can click to access the data or use the Quick Search feature to locate information according to the criteria you enter.
- Backups: the importance cannot be over-stated and there is now a detailed guide to backing up your data.
- Support: access the continuously updated online support directly.
- NEW Checks: This feature lets you control various aspects of the ResourceMD:
- NEW Control integrity checks:
- Item IDs: the ResourceMD warns you if an Item ID is being changed. While this is useful to maintain your data integrity, it can be annoying. This Check lets you switch it on / off.
- Item Management check: as you move between Item Description records, the ResourceMD checks to see if a Management record is associated. If not, you receive a warning message. While this is useful to maintain your data integrity, it can be annoying. This Check lets you switch it on / off.
- Note: if you have a slow network, switching off the above options will speed up to the ResourceMD functions.
- NEW Last Item ID checks:
- Last Item ID added: records the last Item ID added to the database. Useful if you need to know the next Item ID to use.
- Last Item ID edited: records the last Item ID edited in the database. Useful if you are checking through records and need to return to the last one you edited.
- Run in Quick Capture Mode: if on, it means the ResourceMD opens the Quick Capture Wizard when the product opens. Useful if you have a project where data capture is the primary focus.
- Networking: much easier access to network your database if you are using one. This feature used to be called 'Update Data Source' which was not so easy to locate - now it is easily available.
- UPGRADED / NEW Security: new Security tab to the Switchboard has the new option to control access to the Management data. You can control access to Management completely, or various sections of management such as Storage. It also includes the 'Add / Edit Usernames' and 'Change Password' options.
- Website: access the Logos Flow website.
- Item Description: a privotal feature of the ResourceMD with a large number of categories are available to record descriptive information about an item, such as: title, type, unique ID, description, number of pages, keywords, dates, etc.
- UPGRADED Producers: another important feature of the ResourceMD is the ability to enter details of a Producer (author, editor, creator, etc) once and then associate their relationship to an Items, Articles, Quotations, Tributes, Chronologies, Films and Bibliographies.
These include name(s), dates, biographical details, etc. The ResourceMD also has a offers one entry point for all authors and allow for linking to a main item and various sub-items: i.e. author link to a journal and various articles within a journal (same applies to a book, newspaper, etc). For example: you can easily see books, essays in journals, quotations, ... that are attributed to a particular author.
In the previous version you needed to open the relevant section to view the information related. Now all you need to do is click a ‘Show lookups’ option to immediately see if there is information related and how mange records. You can also immediately open the relevant section. For example: if a Producer has books, chronological events and bibliography items associated, you can immediately go directly to these sections.
- Articles: what makes the ResourceMD unique is the ability to associate articles to an item. These can be essays in a journal; articles in a newspaper or magazine; chapters in a book; etc. Each article has it’s own date(s), title, keywords, … even the ability to link to an author, or authors, and asign a relationship to the article: i.e. illustrator, editor, etc.
- UPGRADED Collections: this is a completely new feature which allows you to document Collection details such as Name, Accession Number, Summary, Compilers, Biography and an Inventory Sheet. Any number of Collections can be added.
Each Collection has up to 6 levels of Headings which are systematically assigned to a Collection. For example:
Sorting and assigning Identifiers to Headings
- You capture details about the Collection and add Heading Level 1.
- You can assign any number of Heading Level 2 entries to a single Heading Level 1 entry.
- There are 6 levels, so you have the ability to record and manage highly detailed information about a collection and Items in the Collection.
- Also note that any number of Headings can be assigned at any Level – this gives you the ability to capture any depth of information required to comprehensively document a Collection.
- Each Heading, regardless of Level, can have additional information such as Abstract, multiple link (websites, etc.) and Notes.
- Sorting Headings has always been a difficult task, basically because the Identifiers frequently have a combination of numbers and letters. To offer the ability to keep your preferred Identifiers there is an independent Sort option which lets you sort your Headings according to the order you require. It is also easy to insert and change the Sort order.
- The ResourceMD also has a way of anticipating the next number for you when assigning Identifiers and Sorting.
- UPGRADED / NEW Themes and Categories: it is very useful to be able to assign Themes and Categories to records when capturing information. It means you can offer yet another level of accessing your data. This can greatly enhance the user’s experience if on a website or Intranet. The ResourceMD centralises how this functions by storing Themes and Categories in a central place and letting you access it via any module. Themes and Categories can be assigned to Items, Quotations, Tributes, Chronology and Film.
- Management details: there are a number of management features available such as: provenance, documentation and verification details, administrative information, storage details, condition, stock-taking history, expenses relating to each item, price paid, de-accessioning, etc.
- NEW Quick Capture Wizard: if you are a new user, let this Wizard guide you through adding information to the ResourceMD. If you are an experienced user, let it guide you to capturing information very quickly.
The Quick Capture Wizard is a new feature to the ResourceMD and has been successfully integrated into other Logos Flow products. The aim is to create a space that is separate to the main database, where you can capture data and then send to the main database when ready.
The Quick Capture Wizard is ideal for capturing data with minimal knowledge of how the ResourceMD works; or, how to capture information for archival purposes: you do not have to be an expert to get going or to work efficiently.
A useful feature is being able to switch the ResourceMD into Quick Capture Mode. The means the ResourceMD opens the Quick Capture Wizard when the product opens. Useful if you have a project where data capture is the primary focus:
You can capture the following information into the Quick Capture Wizard:
- Information is captured quickly and in a standardised format.
- Information can be proofed and verified to confirm record have been captured correctly.
Lookups assist in standardising how information is captured and core information is tracked. For example, you cannot enter a duplicate Item ID as it needs to be unique. You will receive a warning message and the record will not be added to the database.
- Item Description: Item ID, Title, Type, …
- Management: Source, Storage, …
- Collection: assign to a Collections and Headings
- Producers: assign to a Producer, or Producers
- Hyperlink: to images, documents, …
What makes it quick:
- Information is captured in one place and not via multiple forms.
- You only need to edit an Item ID to add a similar record.
- Data captured is automatically assigned to the relevant section of the database.
- Simply click the Send button to create another record.
- Presentations: used to record speeches, lectures, etc. This includes place of presentation, dates, occassion, etc.
- Transcripts: documents the actual actual transcripts of speeches, lectures, etc. Including the ability to document long transcripts.
- Bibliography : module to record material and resources not in your collection - including publishing history.
- Grouping: create groups, and link items to a group, i.e. a series.
- Exhibitions: records extensive exhibition / display details and the items associated.
- Quotations: use to record quotations and links to the author of the quotation. You can assign the person, or persons, resposible for the quotation using Producers.
- Tributes: used to record tributes and links to the creator of the tribute. You can assign multiple Producers to a tribute.
- UPGRADED Chronology: used to record chronologies, i.e. important historical dates. You can now associate mutiple Producers to a chronological event which means you can assign full chronological details to any Producer. For example: record any number of events to an author, famous person, company, etc.
- Film: a complete module that records full details on a film, transmission times, casting, production companies, ...
- Global management details: these include features that track the management of the entire collection, such as: all items requiring conservation, etc. Including total cost of the collection, total evaluation, etc.
- General search: this component serves a number of functions but essentially offers quick access to the information where you can see author(s), items and management details in one place. There is the choice of switching on the image viewer to see images linked to an item as you are browsing through your records. This component is normally for viewing information but you can also switch to edit mode.
- Lookup item and author wizards: both offer quick access to items and authors already on the database – you simply scroll up and down various lists or use the quick lookup features. You can also instantly link to full documentation as well. These wizards are also useful if you are unfamiliar with the product but need to access the information without knowledge of finding and filtering techniques.
- Hyperlinks and images: the hyperlinks feature is found throughout the database which offer linking to images, documents, spreadsheets, the Internet, audio files, etc. This truly turns your database into the nerve centre of managing your library as literally any file can be linked. Also the files are stored outside the database, which means you can link to DVDs, CDs, external hard drives or folder on your computer / server. This means your database is never cluttered with large files. Regarding images:
- if a link is made to an image it can be viewed as a thumbnail, clipped, zoomed, opened in your image editing program ... all from within the database
- set the orientation is the image: portrait or landscape
- select the main image (i.e. for reports and your website / intranet)
- if you have setup an image bank and use the Item ID to guide your file naming, you can instantly create links to your images
- check the path and file is correct from within the database
- Hyperlink thumbnails: this feature creates a thumbnail of images linked to an object - as you move through the collection the thumbnail is automatically refreshed.
- Other IDs: although there existing sections to record identification numbers (Item ID and Coll / Class ID) additional ones can be recorded - useful to keep a history of identification.
- Publication History: keep a record of the item's publication history that includes who / when authorised, photographer, publisher and date, ... including a link to any documents, websites or images - and contact details.
- Individual and grouped items: the database records how items may be grouped - say a book is part of a set - you can record information about the set and related each book to the set.
- Notes: there are a number of areas where you can keep additional documentation and management notes.
- ID tracker: the Item ID tracker can be used to record any type of numbering system your organisation uses to uniquely identify each item in your collection. Useful when you need to remember the last Item ID used.
- Conservation: various ways in which the condition of an item can be monitored and recorded, including links to notes, images and documents that record various stages of conservation.
- UPGRADED Movement: this feature is for tracking the temporary location of Items, whether out on loan, being restored or used for research. Movement within your organisation, or outside, can be recorded and archived to keep a history of the Item.
In previous versions of the ResourceMD you needed to go to the Item Management to enter Movement details. This module has been completely revamped to let you capture and manage Movement details more efficiency:
- Open from the Switchboard and immediately capture movement details and lookup the Item.
- Lookup via Item ID, Title or Producer.
- Instantly see which items are out of their permanent storage location.
- Link to Contact information and keep a record of telephone numbers, email, postal address, street address, etc.
- Place a reserve on an Item and enter the reserve expiry date.
- Show all Movement History for a particular Item.
- Show all Movement for a particular Contact.
- Print a report with Movement, Item and Contact details.
- Contacts and addresses: record contact, address, telephone, fax, email and Internet details and link this information where relevant; i.e. author, on loan, etc.
- UPGRADED Reports: there are a number of report and Print Options which are supplied with the product and custom reports can be supplied by Logos Flow if necessary (reports designed specifically for your organisation with you logo, etc). In the latest version a new interface has been developed to improving working with reports and including some new reports.
- Report headings: this product stores report headings for you which you can use in the future without re-typing.
- Website and Intranet exports: this product includes an export option that manages which items appear on a website or Intranet. Only certain data is exported so, for security reasons, more sensitive information (i.e. clients, financial, etc.) is never placed on an Internet / Intranet server. Regarding how Items are utilised on a website / Intranet, you can also:
Contact Logos Flow for further details about getting your information to a broader audience - and updating it yourself!
- indicate which are highlighted items (i.e. appear on a home / front page)
- set the order of highlighted items
- as the ResourceMD contains a number of modules (i.e. Bibliography, Chronology, etc.) you can export each module sperately depending on your website / Intranet requirements.
- UPGRADED Exporting: a number of exporting options are available, whether you need to generate a document to be sent as an email attachment, or export the entire database to a spreadsheet ... and more. In the latest version there is a new interface to improve working with the various Export options.
Switchboard and options
Description entry form with image views - for covers of books, journals, CDs, DVDs, etc.
Description entry form showing publication and dating details
Description entry form with Articles - use to record articles, chapters, essays, etc. in journals, magazines, newspapers, . . .
Management entry form with Movement module (use to record loads)
Bibliography entry form - records items not in your library (useful for research or tracking items you would like to acquire for the library)
Quotations entry form - records memorable (or not so memorable) quotations
Print Options with basic report preview