Search Engine Friendly
: the number of times you have used a search engine such as Google and found a page of information that has no reference to the rest of the website, i.e. no menu or link to the home page. Although you find the content, it is not displayed in the context of the website. The ItemsOD is highly search engine friendly and information retrieved is brought up in the context of your website - full menus, branding and layout.
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
: the ItemsOD will improve your search engine rankings the more information you add to your website. Search engines also follow links to index websites so the more items you have, the more link your have to relevant information.
: this is a very useful feature that really does make your website highly dynamic and interactive. You can cross-reference any Item to another one - no matter what section of your website it is on! This feature also assists in improving your website ranking with search engines as you are creating links to more relevant content as you build your website.
: once you have logged in the Home
section informs and quides you:
- Shows you all the updatable sections of your website and offers quick access to the section.
- Offers the ability to search across all active sections from one centralised point. This lets you quick locate information you have previously uploaded to the website.
- It replaces the Components section to improve getting around the updatable sections of your website. Note: the Components is still available as before but mainly for references purposes.
: stands for (What You See Is What You Get) and lets you click a toolbar button for bold text, create a bulleted list, change font colour, etc. The ItemsOD offers the ability to switch on and off the WYSIWYG editor. This is an important option:
- With a WYSIWYG editor you can quickly format text, etc., which improves how information is displayed on your website, plus you do not need to know any HTML commands. Pasting text stright from a word processing application can effect how the content appears on your website. For example, you paste Times New Roman font and your website is based on Verdana, then there will be different fonts displayed. Sometimes you might want to do this, but if you do not, you can paste into a Text Only area which strips all formatting.
- Without a WYSIWYG editor you do need to know some HTML commands and you have a greater control as to what is displayed and how it is displayed. You can now go to an area online and build your page prior to pasting as content on your website.
: this feature builds on the Cross-referencing above. The difference being you can easily locate information throughout your website and simply copy and paste a link. You can also create links to images and specific downloads.
UPGRADED Item Downloads
: downloads (PDFs, Docs, etc) can be associated with any Item. You can add as many downloads as required to any Item.
Components / Sections
: broadly think of Components as main sections of your website such as News, Events, Announcements, Products, Classifields, . . . and an Item
being one News item, one Classified, . . .
Sub-sections (aka Filters)
: this powerful feature sub-divides the main sections of your website, for example you might have a News section which is divided into Staff News and General News. Assigning a information to a particular section of your website is simply a matter of looking up a list of sub-sections available.
: this is a powerful feature that let you set the Status
of any Items posted on your website:
How information is displayed
- front / home page: set which items appear on your front / home page which draws a visitors attention to your latest informaiton and avoids it getting cluttered.
- current: this is the setting for information that you want to appear on the website but not have it appear on the front / home page.
- archived: if an item is archived, it does not appear on your website but if a visitor does a search, it will appear in the results.
- hidden: if an item is hidden, it does not appear on your website and does not appear in the results. Also useful if you are preparing information and images prior to launching - get everything ready and simply remove the hidden option to make it appear on your website!
- show content only: you can select this option if you would like an Item's content - with images - to appear instead of a list. For example: you have news that you would like to appear directly on your front page instead of in a list of items.
: you might have a list of latest News which lets vistors to your website browse your News items by a caption and brief description. The visitor can click on an item for further information and a full description, images, links to other websites, cross-reference links within your website, . . . You can even embed any object: Flash, animated gif, video, etc.
How information is managed
: accessed via one login where you see an Administrator
interface that assists in finding, adding and editing the content on your website. The Public
interface is what the visitor sees when they browse through the website.
: you can upload images directly to your website and these are displayed alongside the information. Any number of images can be associated with an Item and you can set the order the images are displayed. You can even set the image to highlight - appear when a visitor views a list of items on a page.
Some websites require a large amount of images associated with an Item. An art exhibition for example, might have 50 artworks related. These are automatically calculated and divided into various pages with 10 per page. This makes easier to manage a large amount of images and you can avoid a long download time.
: you are able to publish full articles that are automatically referenced to any Item. For example: someone can read brief information about a topic and then click through to read a full feature article.
: as you add information to your website is automatically becomes searchable. Visitors are able to search any section they are browsing.
: you have control over what Links will be established on your site. You are able to define the Categories under which these Links will be displayed - a Category can have any number of Links.
Downloads / documents manager
: in a similar manner to the Links option you can provide downloads to your visitors, which will be listed by category. For example you may list downloads by language, or categorise the downloads by general subject matter.
UPGRADED Integration with ShopOD
: ItemsOD now integrates with the ShopOD (new online product) which is used to track clients and their orders. More about the ShopOD will be posted on this website soon.
: the ItemsOD now includes a comprehensive way of displaying any prices that relate to an Item. These include:
- Code: your code relating to a particular product pricing.
- Description: any description such as 1 litre, 1 tray of 6, etc.
- Costing: various costs such as Item cost, cost to deliver, etc.
: all support is placed online - so you always have access to the latest support - and various levels of support are offered.
- General support online: covers broad issues from a definition of an Item to uploading large files using FTP.
- Specific support online: focus on a particular product - the ItemsOD in this case. Also including working area for HTML Tags and links to more information.
- Tips: while your are working, various Tips appear to assist you.
- Email: you are always welcome to get in touch.
: offers global
options to manage your website.
- WYSIWYG Editor: in the Global module you can turn it on or off.
- Item Deletes: to avoid accidentailly deleting and Item, the default is to have it turned off. You can turn it on and off as required.
- Filters: view all the Filters / Sub-Sections of your website.