The latest version of the CollectionOD has just received a mayor upgrade
This on-line database product is increasing in popularity due to more stable, and more available, Internet connections. This has driven the demand to upgrade the CollectionOD to match, or improve, the popular off-line products such as HumanitiesCMD and ResourceMD.
Online demo: an online demo is available - see link below.
The v7.0 upgrade includes:
Layout and interface: the whole product has gone through an upgrade to improve the usability, functionality and layout. From new functions to quickly locate items to new icons to clearly indicate the features available.
Quick lookup on recently add and edited items: you can quickly access the following items:
- Recently added items with images
- List with recently edited items
- List with recently added items
The improves how you work with your collection and the new Quick capture feature (see below). You can always search for items but this lets you access recent items captured or edited.
Quick capture: a new feature to quickly add new items and capture producer, description and management details - all in one place. The most common fields are available on this form and you can use the above feature to find recently added items to record further documentation and management details.
New fields: new fields have been added and integrated with the global search such as -
- Size: this compliments Measurements to record an actual size or an item, i.e. actual size of a photograph and measurements to include the frame.
- Quantity: normally one item is documented but sometimes more than one item if entered under one record - this record the actual number. The total records on the database will give you the number if items accessioned but the total Quantity will give you the total number of items in your collection.
Management lookups: lookup on Management records via levels of Storage Location and Source of the item.
Widgets: you can now embed video, feeds, . . . from other websites directly. Any number of embedded widgets can be associated with any item. Ideal for artwork that is an actual video, interviews with someone talking about an item, etc.
Improved browse by Producer and Type: browse through the images according to an artist for example, or all book covers, etc.
Add and assigned producers: when editing the Description of an item, you can now easily add and assign Producers - including the relationship of the producer to the item, i.e. author, artist, editor, illustrator, etc.
New search functionality:
- Top bar: new search options available on the top menu bar giving quick access to different search options at any point.
- Home page options: new search options available - see below for more details.
Search options explained:
- Global search: use this option for a general search across the whole database. This includes Description, Producers, Chapters and Management. Items are repeated if more than one producer associated. This search option is the same as the top menu bar.
- Global description search: use this option for a general search across the whole database. This includes Description and Management. Items are not repeated if more than one producer associated. This search option is the same as the top menu bar.
- Producer lookup: provides a list of all Producers captured on the database. Scroll down the list, or type a letter, to locate a producer. You can then see their details and a lit of all Items and Chapters associated.
- Specific search options: Producer, Description and Management all offer searching across specific fields. There are lots of new fields added to search on in the upgrade.
Various result options:
- Global results: there are a number of new fields in the global results. Note you can click on the headings to sort the results in different ways.
- Specific search results: these are now the same layout global results. More fields are also included. If searching the Description then the images associated are also displayed.